100g (3 1/2 oz) dairy-free margarine
150g (6 oz) dairy-free dark chocolate
1 x 5ml spoon (1 teaspoon) instant coffee
1 x 5 ml (1 teaspoon) vanilla extract
100g (3 1/2 oz) ground almonds
30g (1 oz) mixed chopped nuts
175g (6 oz) golden caster sugar
4 eggs, separated
icing sugar for dusting
What to do:
- Pre-heat your oven to 180'C / 350'F / Gas Mark 4.
- Lightly grease a 20 cm (8 inch) square tin.
- Place a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, break up the chocolate in to pieces and place in to the bowl with the dairy-free margarine. Stir gently until melted. Take off the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Now add the coffee, vanilla extract, almonds, sugar and chopped nuts and mix well.
- Lightly beat the egg yolks and then stir into the chocolate mixture very well.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then gently fold spoonfuls into the chocolate mixture until evenly mixed.
- Spoon the mixture in to the prepared tin and bake for 35 minutes until risen and firm to the touch. The centre should be gooey.
- Leave to cool completely in the tin, then cut in to pieces and dust with icing sugar.