1 cup gluten-free flour
1/4 x 5 ml spoon (1/4 teaspoon) xanthan gum
1 large egg, beaten
300 ml (1/2 pint) dairy-free milk
Oil for frying each pancake
What to do:
- Sift the gluten-free flour and xanthan gum together.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg with the dairy-free milk.
- Add half the liquid to the flour and beat well. Then add the remaining milk and beat again, until all the ingredients are well blended and smooth.
- The batter should be runny so add more dairy-free milk if necessary (different gluten-free flours need varying amounts of liquid added).
- Refrigerate for 1/2 hour.
- Next, put a little oil into a frying pan, heat until it begins to smoke then immediately pour some of the the batter in allowing the mixture to spread.
- Fry one side of the pancake for a couple of minutes, then with a heatproof spatula gently loosen the pancake so it moves freely in the frying pan. Now flip the pancake over and fry the other side until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with sweet or savoury fillings or topping.
Top Tip: These pancakes are best eaten the same day but they can be successfully frozen when cooled by placing a layer of greaseproof paper in between each pancake, then put into a freezer zip-lock bag for about one month.