An old-fashioned English cake, traditionally from Yorkshire, packed with bananas and nuts and delicious served sliced,with butter
225g (8 oz) gluten-free flour
2 x 5 ml spoons (2 teaspoon) gluten-free baking powder
1/2 x level 5 ml spoon (1/2 level teaspoon) xanthan gum
75g (3 oz) dairy-free margarine
175g (6 oz) caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
450g (1 lb) bananas, peeled and mashed
100g (4 oz) chopped walnuts or mixed nuts
What to do:
- Preheat your oven to 180'C / 350'F / Gas Mark 4. Lightly oil a 1kg (2 lb) loaf tin.
- In a bowl, sift together the gluten-free flour, gluten-free baking powder, xanthan gum and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk the dairy-free margarine with the sugar until light and fluffy, then gradually add the eggs with the flour.
- Stir in the bananas and nuts and place into your prepared tin.
- Bake for about 1 1/4 hours or until a skewer that is inserted into the middle of the tea bread comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a cooling rack and brush the top with a simple sugar glaze, made from dissolving 1 x 5 ml spoon (1 teaspoon) of sugar with a little water.
- When cold, slice and serve spread with a dairy-free spread.