For the 225g (8oz) gluten-free shortcrust pastry:
225g (8oz) gluten-free flour
1/4 x 5 ml spoon (1/4 teaspoon) xanthan gum
pinch of salt
50g (2 oz) dairy-free margarine
50g (2 oz) lard or shortening
30 ml (2 tablespoons) cold water to mix
For the filling:
225g (8 oz) lean bacon, cut in to pieces
4 eggs, beaten
salt and freshly ground black pepper
a pinch of mixed herbs
What to do:
- Preheat your oven to 190'C / 370'F / Gas Mark 5.
- Lightly fry the bacon and set aside.
- Prepare the pastry by sifting together the the gluten-free flour with the xanthan gum. Add the salt, then rub in the fat until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough of the cold water to make a stiff dough by bringing together with a cold knife.
- Turn out on to a floured surface and knead lightly, then cut the lump in half.
- With one half, roll out slightly bigger than your pie dish, line the pie dish, then place the bacon and egg into the pie base. Dampen the top edges of the pastry with cold water.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and cover the pie, trim and crimp the edges with your fingers and thumb.
- With the trimmings roll out again and cut out diamond shapes, arrange on top of the pie and then brush with beaten egg or dairy-free milk.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.