15g (1/2 oz) dairy-free margarine
4 chicken breasts, cut in half
1 medium onion, sliced
4 sticks celery, slice thinly
1 large leek, peeled and sliced
100g (4 oz) mushrooms, sliced
1 x 15ml spoon (1 tablespoon) tomato purée
1 x 450g tin of chopped tomatoes
275ml (1/2 pint) chicken stock
60ml (4 tablespoons) red wine, optional
1 x 5ml spoon (1 teaspoon) dried mixed herbs
1 x 15ml spoon (1 tablespoon) freshly chopped mixed herbs
15 g (1/2 oz) dairy-free margarine
15 g (1/2 oz) gluten-free flour
tiny pinch of xanthan gum
Chopped fresh parsley to garnish, optional
What to do:
- Preheat your oven to 180'C / 350'F / Gas Mark 4.
- In a large heavy-based pan, melt the dairy-free margarine, add the chicken pieces and fry until browned all over. Transfer to an ovenproof dish.
- Into the same pan add the onion and the celery and sauté for 2-3 minutes, then add the leeks and mushrooms and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Thoroughly stir in the tomato purée and pour over the chicken and vegetables.
- Evenly spread the tin of tomatoes over the chicken and sprinkle with the dried and fresh herbs, then pour over the stock and wine, if using.
- Cover the dish and cook in the centre of your oven for about 1 hour or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the juices run clear. Remove from the oven.
- Sift the flour with the xanthan gum and blend with the dairy-free margarine until you have a paste. A little at a time, add this to the liquid in your chicken dish and mix well.
- Return to the oven for 10 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve with new potatoes cooked your favourite way.