450g (1 lb) gluten-free flour
2 x 5ml spoons (2 level teaspoons) xanthan gum
1 x 5ml spoon (1 teaspoon) salt
1 x 5ml spoon (1 teaspoon) onion seeds
1 x 5ml spoon (1 teaspoon) sugar
1 1/2 sachets of fast-action dried yeast
50ml (3 fl oz) dairy-free milk
125g (5 oz) dairy-free plain yoghurt
1 large egg, beaten
50g (2oz) dairy-free margarine
2 x 15ml spoons (2 tablespoons) sesame seeds, optional
What to do:
- Place the gluten-free flour, xanthan gum, salt, onion seeds, sugar and yeast in to a large bowl and mix well.
- Gently warm the milk and after reserving 1 tablespoon of dairy-free yoghurt, add the rest to the milk and blend well.
- Beat the eggs and set aside.
- Melt the dairy-free margarine.
- Add the milk and yoghurt mixture, egg and dairy-free margarine to the gluten-free flour. Knead with your hands or with an electric mixer using the dough hook, until well mixed.
- Cover the dough with clingfilm and place somewhere warm to rise until doubled in size.
- With well-floured hands divide the dough in to 8 balls, cover them and leave to rise for another 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 230'C / 450'F / Gas 8. Also, preheat an ungreased baking sheet in the oven for 10 minutes. Line the baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Take one of the balls and place it on the baking sheet. Gently stretch it with your hands to about 6-7 inches in length, making the traditional teardrop shape as you go. Make 2-3 similar shapes at a time and brush the tops with a little of the reserved yoghurt.
- Sprinkle with the sesame seeds, if using, and bake on the top shelf of your oven for 10-12 minutes until golden.
- Serve with any meat, chicken or vegetable curry.
Tip: Can be frozen!