350 g (12 oz) gluten-free flour
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
1 x 5 ml spoon (1 teaspoon) bicarbonate of soda
½ x 5 ml spoon (½ teaspoon) salt
2 x 5 ml spoons (2 teaspoons) ground ginger
175 g (6 oz) brown sugar
1 large egg, beaten
4 x 15 ml spoons (4 tablespoons) golden syrup
Packet of gluten-free boiled sweets of different colours
What to do:
- Preheat your oven to 180’C / 350’F /Gas 4.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Place the coloured sweets in separate plastic zip-lock food bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- In a large bowl sift together the gluten-free flour, xanthan gum, bicarb of soda, salt and ginger.
- Rub in the dairy-free margarine until it resembles breadcrumbs then stir in the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the egg and golden syrup then pour in to the flour mixture.
- Mix to make a dough, then knead lightly on a floured surface to bring together.
- Roll the dough to about a ¼ inch thickness, then cut out shapes with your rocket cutter.
- Place the biscuits carefully on to the baking tray and cut out the windows using a small knife.
- Fill the cut-out windows with the crushed, boiled sweets until they are slightly higher than the dough.
- Using a straw, make a hole near the top of each biscuit to be able to hang or thread ribbon through for presents.
- Bake in the middle of your oven for 10 minutes.
- When completely cold and the sweets have hardened again, lift from the baking tray and store in an airtight container.