Cottage Pie is a meat pie with mashed potato topping. The cheese works really well with all the meaty flavours! A dash of balsamic vinegar or spiced relish gives a real depth to the flavour of this popular dish!
25g (1oz) dairy-free margarine1 large onion, peeled and chopped25g (1oz) rice flour275ml (1/2 pint) beef stock450g (1 lb) lean minced beef1 x 15ml spoon (1 tablespoon) tomato puree1 x 15ml spoon (1 tablespoon) Relish, soy sauce or balsamic vinegar, optionalSalt and freshly ground black pepperTopping:
450g (1 lb) potatoes, freshly cooked25g (1 oz) dairy-free margarine2 x 15 ml spoons (2 tablespoons) dairy-free milk50g (2 oz) dairy-free cheeseWhat to do:
- Melt the dairy-free margarine in a saucepan and fry the chopped onion over a low heat, until cooked and softened.
- Add the gluten-free flour and stir continually over a low heat, until the mix begins to brown.
- Remove completely from the heat and gradually stir in the beef stock. Add the remaining ingredients, stir well and gradually bring to the boil. Cover and simmer very gently for 30 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into an 850ml (1 1/2 pint) ovenproof dish.
- For topping: Mash the potatoes with the dairy-free margarine, dairy-free milk and seasoning.
- Carefully spread over the meat and sprinkle on top the grated dairy-free cheese.
- Place under a hot grill for 5 minutes until the cheese has melted or bake in preheated, moderately hot oven (190'C / 375'F / Gas Mark 5) for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with green vegetables and carrots.
Post a Comment