175g (10oz) basmati or other long grain rice
50g (2oz) dairy-free margarine
6 green cardamom pods, carefully split open the top of each pod
1 x 5ml spoon (1 teaspoon) cumin seeds or caraway seeds
1 x 5ml spoon (1 teaspoon) salt
500 ml (18 fluid ounces) water for basmati rice or 600 ml (20 fluid ounces) for other long grain rice
What to do:
- Wash the rice, soak in cold water for 1/2 an hour then drain thoroughly.
- Over a low heat, melt the dairy-free margarine and fry the cardamom and cumin seeds in it for 1 minute.
- Now add the rice, stir well and fry for 2-3 minutes. Lower the heat and continue frying for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the salt and water and mix thoroughly.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes without lifting the lid!
- Remove from the heat and keep it undisturbed with the lid on for another 6-8 minutes.