225g (8oz) gluten-free flour
1/4 x 5ml spoon (1/4 teaspoon) xanthan gum
1/4 x 5ml spoon (1/4 teaspoon) dried mixed herbs or fresh from your garden
50g (2oz) lard or shortening
50g (2 oz) dairy-free margarine
cold water to mix, about 30 ml (approximately 2 tablespoons)
25g (1oz) caster sugar for sweet pastry
2 x 15ml spoons olive oil
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
1red or green pepper, de-seeded and diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
450 g (1 lb) lean minced beef
1 beef stock cube made up to 150 ml (1/4 pint) with water.
1 x 15 ml spoon (1 tablespoon) spiced, gluten-free relish
salt and freshly ground black pepper
dairy-free milk or beaten egg, to glaze
slices of red pepper to garnish
What to do:
First make the pastry as follows:
- Preheat your oven to 200'C / 400'F / Gas Mark 6 and have ready a pie dish.
- In a bowl, sift together the gluten-free flour, xanthan gum, herbs and salt, then rub in the fat until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Using a metal knife to cut and stir, mix the cold water into the flour until you have brought together a stiff dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly. Cut about 1/4 off the lump and set aside.
- Roll out the pastry and line a pie dish, no need to bake blind. With the rest of the pastry roll out a long rectangle and cut in to strips, ready to decorate the top of your pie.
- In a heavy-based saucepan, gently heat the olive oil and saute the onion and garlic until softened.
- Add the minced beef, and fry until browned.
- Place all the other ingredients into the pan and simmer slowly for 15-20 minutes until the liquid has reduced by about half.
- Pour into your lined pie dish, spread evenly, then place the strips of pastry over the top in a criss-cross design (see photograph).
- Brush with dairy-free milk or egg to glaze and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve garnished with slices of red pepper and with a fresh, green salad and new potatoes.
Post a Comment