500g (16oz) lean minced beef
2 onions, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 oz (or 1 heaped tablespoon) dairy-free margarine
1 red pepper, de-seeded and chopped
1 green pepper, de-seeded and chopped
1 yellow pepper, de-seeded and chopped
100g (4oz) mushrooms, washed and sliced thickly
1 x 400g tin of tomatoes
2 x 400g tins of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
3 x 5ml spoons (3 teaspoons) chilli powder
salt and freshly ground black pepper
550 ml (1 pint) of hot beef stock
What to do:
- In a large, heavy based saucepan, gently fry the chopped onion in melted dairy-free margarine, for about 10 minutes until softened (this also sweetens the onion as it cooks through slowly).
- Add the minced beef, turn up the heat and using a wooden spoon to stir, cook until it begins to change colour.
- Add the peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, kidney beans, chilli powder and season to taste, stirring to mix the ingredients evenly.
- Now add the hot beef stock, bring to the boil stirring gently.
- Reduce the heat, cover with a heavy well-fitting lid and on a low heat simmer gently for another hour.
- Serve with either boiled rice, crusty gluten-free cobs, garlic bread or salad!