A traditional family favourite pudding, combining the tangy pineapple with the sweetness of the butterscotch sauce
100g (4 oz) gluten-free plain flour
2 x 5 ml spoons (2 teaspoons) gluten-free baking powder
pinch of xanthan gum
100g (4 oz) dairy-free margarine
100g (4 oz) caster sugar
1 tablespoon fresh pineapple juice
40g (1 1/2 oz) dairy-free margarine
50g (2 oz) soft brown sugar
Also: sliced pineapple rings and glacé cherries
What to do:
- Preheat your oven to 180'C / 350'F / Gas 4.
- Lightly grease a 20 cm (8 inch) pudding dish.
- For the butterscotch sauce melt the dairy-free margarine, stir in the brown sugar until dissolved, then pour in to the bottom of your pudding dish.
- Arrange slices of pineapple evenly over the butterscotch sauce and place a whole glacé cherry in the middle of each pineapple ring.
- Next, sift together the gluten-free flour, gluten-free baking powder and xanthan gum into a small bowl. Then cream together the dairy-free margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, adding a little gluten-free flour with each egg. Gently fold in the remaining flour.
- Carefully place the mixture over the pineapple and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes then turn out on to a serving plate.
This pudding is delicious on its own, served with dairy-free ice-cream, custard or vanilla sauce!