|Photography by Martin Penfold|
This traditional gingerbread men recipe makes a soft gingerbread rather than a brittle biscuit
350 g (12 oz) gluten-free flour
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
1 x 5 ml spoon (1 teaspoon) bicarbonate of soda
½ x 5 ml spoon (½ teaspoon) salt
2 x 5 ml spoons (2 teaspoons) ground ginger
100 g (3 ½ oz) dairy-free margarine
175 g (6 oz) brown sugar
1 large egg, beaten
4 x 15 ml spoons (4 tablespoons) golden syrup
What to do:
- Preheat your oven to 180’C / 350’F /Gas 4.
- Line a baking tray with grease-proof paper.
- In a large bowl sift together the gluten-free flour, xanthan gum, bicarb of soda, salt and ginger.
- Rub in the dairy-free margarine until it resembles breadcrumbs then stir in the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the egg and golden syrup then pour into the flour mixture.
- Mix to make a dough, then knead lightly on a floured surface to bring together.
- Roll the dough to about a ¼ inch thickness, then cut out gingerbread men shapes with your cutter.
- Bake for no more than 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes then place on a cooling rack.