version of gluten-free and dairy-free Bakewell Tart can be made with or without ground almonds. The almonds give a firmer texture to the Tart’s filling but either way is delicious!
225g (8 oz) gluten-free shortcrust pastry (See this link for the recipe: http://www.sarahssimplesecrets.uk/2015/01/pastry.html )
For the filling:
Strawberry or raspberry jam
110g (4 oz) dairy-free spread
110g (4 oz) caster sugar
110g (4 oz) ground almonds (or substitute the almonds with 2 oz gluten-free self-raising flour mixed with 2 oz ground rice)
2 medium eggs, beaten.
A few drops of almond essence
What to do:
- Preheat your oven to 375’F / 190‘C / Gas 5.
- Lightly grease a shallow pie dish.
- Line the dish with your pastry and spread a thick layer of jam over the base, about 0.5cm thick.
- In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix all the other ingredients together and then carefully spread over your layer of jam.
- Bake in the middle of your oven for 25-30 minutes until the filling is set.
- Serve warm or cold with a dairy-free cream, dairy-free ice-cream, dairy-free custard or dairy-free vanilla sauce.