100g (4oz) gluten-free shortcrust pastry
2 medium eggs, separated
1 lemon, juice and grated rind
225g (8oz) caster sugar
150ml (1/4 pint) boiling water
12g (1/2 oz) cornflour or arrowroot powder
What to do:
- Heat your oven to 190'C / 375'F / Gas Mark 5.
- Line an 18cm (7-inch) flan dish with the pastry and bake it blind for about 15 minutes.
- Now reduce the heat of your oven to 150'C / 300'F / Gas Mark 2.
- Place the egg yolks with half the sugar, lemon juice and grated rind, boiling water into a saucepan and mix well.
- Blend the cornflour or the arrowroot powder with a little cold water and add this to the lemon mixture in your pan.
- Bring it to the boil, stirring continuously, then pour into the prepared flan case.
- Whisk the egg whites until they are very stiff and gradually beat in the remaining sugar.
- Spread over the flan, being careful to take the meringue to the edge of the lemon mixture. Create soft peaks using the back of a metal spoon by letting the spoon touch the meringue and then slowly pulling the spoon straight up vertically. Repeat all over the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes until crisp and pale golden in colour!