A very sweet, popular tart
220g (8oz) gluten-free and dairy-free shortcrust pastry
220g (8oz) golden syrup
220g (8oz) gluten-free breadcrumbs
1 unwaxed lemon, juice and finely grated rind
What to do:
- Preheat your oven to 180'C(/375'F/Gas 5)for fan, or 200'C (400'F/Gas 6).
- Line a 9-inch(23cm)fluted flan dish with the pastry, put some pastry aside with any trimmings, for decorating the top.
- In a medium pan, gently warm the golden syrup until melted, then add the gluten-free breadcrumbs, lemon juice and grated rind. Stir until evenly mixed.
- Pour into your pastry case and decorate with the pastry you set aside in step 2, with either criss-cross strips, twists or cut-out shapes.
- Bake in the centre of your oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with dairy-free ice-cream or custard.
Experiment with different syrups like corn, honey or maple. The distinctive flavour of golden syrup is the traditional sweetener to use.
Gluten-free breadcrumbs can be made by gathering the left-overs or ends of a loaf, then placing in an electric food processor until the bread resembles crumbs.